Be safe. In Ohio you can record your DD Form 214 in your county recorder’s office. Register your DD Form 214 with your County Recorder as soon as you separate from the Service. After you record your discharge papers, they can be easily retrieved if you need additional certified copies.

There is never a fee for recording a military discharge recording or certified copies.

Military Discharge Records

The Putnam County Recorder’s Office encourages Veterans to have their military discharge papers (DD214) recorded in the county recorder’s office.

Your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD Form 214 is one of the most important documents that the Service will every give you. It is your key to participation in all Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) programs as well as several state and federal programs including:

• Disability Compensation
• Education and Training
• Home Loans
• Loan Guaranty Services
• Vocational Services
• Insurance Services
• Burial & VA Cemeteries

These are just a few of the services that require your discharge papers. You should keep your original document in a safe place, and have certified copies available for reference.

Military discharges have restricted public access. ORC 317.24 allows authorized parties to request copies of recorded military discharges. Proper identification MUST be presented to view and receive copies.

Authorized parties

• The Veteran who is the subject of the Discharge
• A County Veterans Service Officer
• An individual with Power of Attorney for the Veteran
• An Executor or Administrator of the Veteran’s Estate
• A funeral home director

Copies of DD214’s must be requested in-person at the Putnam County Recorder’s Office by an authorized individual.

A recorded discharge document is not a public record for a period of seventy-five (75) years after the date of recording. If you are not an “Authorized Party” a copy of any DD214 may only be made available to you in redacted form.

If you have lost your DD214 and have never recorded it, the Putnam County Veterans Service Commission can direct you in obtaining a copy. The Veteran Service office is located in the Putnam County Annex building on the first floor. Please visit 419-523-4478 for assistance.